I believe most of you know Handbrake video transcoder. It’s a great app and free to use.
HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.
It’s been a short while since HandBrake 1.5.0 came out. Now HandBrake 1.5.1 is already available for download with one major change. With the new version 1.5.1, .NET 6 is now mandatory. You can download .NET 6 here.
Formats for use in HandBrake 1.5.0
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8 and Theora
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
Some Features in HandBrake 1.5.0
- Title/ Chapter Selection
- Queue up Multiple Encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average BitRate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR, CFR and VFR
- Video Filters—Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and Scaling
- Live Video Preview
Fixed or Changed in HandBrake 1.5.0 for Windows 10
- Requires Windows 10 or later and Microsoft .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.0 or later
- Fixed a potential crash when encoding using Intel QSV in 2-pass mode (#4026)
- Fixed potential issues where encoding process could get stuck on efficiency cores in some cases
- Fixed an issue with static preview not updating when switching between automatic and custom cropping modes (#3911)
- Updated the toolbar preset dropdown to an overlay panel that utilizes a tree view which saves state
- Updated UI with various improvements to layout, typography, and cosmetics
- Updated queue statistics tab to include average encoding speed and content information
- Updated automatic naming file format placeholders to be live options
- Updated Send File To preference to set HB_SOURCE, HB_DESTINATION, and HB_EXIT_CODE environment variables, which can be used instead of arguments
- Added new exit_code parameter to Send File To preference
- Added “Move to top” and “Move to the bottom” to the queue context menu
- Added a stop breakpoint to the queue, set when stop after job is selected and may be reordered (#2572)
- Added support for Windows 10/11 notifications, enable in Preferences > When Done
- Added support for Right to Left UI rendering for languages that require it. This can be set in preferences
- Added Traditional Chinese (正體中文) translation
The Windows User interface requires Microsoft .NET Core Framework 6.0.
If you do not already have this, you can download it from Microsoft’s: .NET Core Runtime download page.