Users reported having issues accessing event logs after installing cumulative update KB5003637.
- error 5: access is denied
- error 1764: The requested operation is not supported.
- Windows has not provided an error code.
Microsoft is aware of the issue and has an effective solution for the problem.
Microsoft Resolution: This is expected due to security hardening changes relating to Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) for CVE-2021-31958. This issue is resolved if the local and remote devices both have KB5003637 installed.
- Client: Windows 10, version 21H1; Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016; Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB; Windows 8.1; Windows 7 SP1
- Server: Windows Server, version 20H2; Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2019; Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012 R2; Windows Server 2012; Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1; Windows Server 2008 SP2