It’s time for a new update of PowerToys with build number 0.55.0. The new release brings some exciting new features you can read about down below.
Microsoft is extremely excited to bring on 3 new PowerToy utilities.
- File Explorer add-on: Developer files for preview pane. This should add about 150 file extensions total. We are using the Monaco Editor to power this experience.
- File Explorer add-on: STL file format thumbnail and preview pane generation! Since STL is a common 3D file format, this allows a quick visual check.
- Mouse Utility: Crosshair over pointer via Ctrl+Alt+P. This feature was co-developed with the accessibility team at Microsoft. When the team told us about the idea and described trying to find your cursor by looking through a straw, we knew we could leverage code from the other mouse utilities to quickly enable this feature.
Changed or Fixed in PowerToys 0.55.0
- .NET runtime is now on 5, our next release will be upgraded to .NET 6. Moving to .NET 5 and then 6 helped reduce our moving parts in a single release so we went this route. Why this is important is this is one of the major work items needed for ARM64 support. In addition, this should help provide speed boosts once we are on .NET 6.
Always on Top
- Fixed one of two borders showing incorrect bugs.
- Border defaults to OS accent color now.
- Reduced CPU / GPU activity. Not done improving, we know we can do better.
- Bug fixed to not lose zones after update
- Fixed editor margin issue for the Chinese language.
File explorer add-ons
- GCode thumbnails now have transparency.
- New Utility – Developer files for File Explorer preview pane. This should add about 150 file extensions total. We are using the Monaco Editor to power this experience.
- New Utility – STL thumbnail and preview panes added!
- Fixed bug with too much metadata.
- Fixed bug resizing bug for constant height while maintaining aspect ratio.
- New Utility – Crosshair over pointer via Ctrl+Alt+P. This feature was co-developed with the accessibility team at Microsoft.
- Files are sorted now how File Explorer sorts.
- Improved speed and fixed bugs with the Window walker plugin.
- Window Walker will now show the path of elevated apps.
- Added UEFI command to system commands.
- Fixed crashing bug in Environment Helper class.
- Fix URI plugin bug with
- VS Code plugin not showing workspaces with the latest Code version was corrected.
- Fixed bug that caused plugins to not load.
- Fixed crash in Uri plugin and the Web search plugin.
- Fixed a regression with settings being reset when moving from admin to non-admin
Video Conference Mute
- Fixed crashing bug with Zoom and other clients. We found someone we could remotely debug with and identify the actual crashing part.
- Change of behavior: When leaving a meeting, VCM will now leave your microphone in the state it was. This mimics the behavior of applications if VCM was not present.
- Change of behavior: When you exit PowerToys, your current microphone state will remain.