As Microsoft announced in August 2020, support for Microsoft Edge Legacy will be terminated on March 9, 2021.
The new Microsoft Edge Stable is going to take its place as a fixed part of the operating system. A cumulative update, on patch day April 2021 will totally remove the old Edge Legacy Browser from your OS.
For people who did not know this, Edge Legacy is still a part of your Windows 10 system but hidden. Systems affected by this move from Microsoft are listed below.
Windows 10 versions impacted:
- Windows 10, version 1803, all editions (April 2018)
- Note: This version will not be included in the optional Windows 10 March Preview release.
- Windows 10, version 1809, all editions (October 2018)
- Windows 10, version 1903, all editions (May 2019)
- Note: This version is out of support for desktop
- Windows 10, version 1909, all editions (October 2019)
- Windows 10, version 2004, all editions (May 2020)
- Windows 10, version 20H2, all editions (October 2020)
- Because Windows 10, 20H2 already uses the new Microsoft Edge as its default browser, it will not be reinstalled; only Microsoft Edge Legacy will be removed.
Download: New Edge Stable