The compression app WinRAR which most of us have already known for a long time now, reached final status today. The new WinRar 6.1 Final is ready for download. It’s for use on Windows 10 and 11.
The list of changes is comprehensive, so it will take you a while to read through it all. Anyway, I think it’s well worth it, to check out what WinRar final has to offer.
Changed or Fixed in WinRar 6.1 Final
- WinRAR can unpack contents of .zst and .zipx archives utilizing Zstandard algorithm.
- Added support of Windows 11 Explorer context menus.
- Beginning from Windows 11, an application can add only a single top-level command or submenu to the Explorer context menu.
- If “Cascaded context menus” in the “Integration Settings” dialog is on, this single item is a submenu storing all necessary WinRAR commands.
- If this option is off, only one extraction command for archives and one archiving command for usual files are available.
You can select these commands with the “Context menu items…” button in the “Integration Settings” dialog.
- “Legacy context menus” option in the “Settings/Integration” dialog can be used in Windows 11 if WinRAR commands are missing in the “Show more options” Windows legacy context menu or in context menus of third-party file managers. If WinRAR commands are already present here, keep the “Legacy context menus” option turned off to prevent duplicating them.
- This option is not available in Windows 10 and older.
- Windows XP is not supported anymore. The minimum required operating system version is Windows Vista.
- “Close” item is added to the “When done” list on the “Advanced” page of archiving dialog. It closes WinRAR window, when archiving is done.
- The “When done” list is added to the “Options” page of the extraction dialog. It allows selecting an action like turning a computer off or closing WinRAR after completing extraction.
- Switch -si can be used when extracting or testing to read archive data from stdin, such as:
- type docs.rar | rar x -si -o+ -pmypwd dummy docs\
- Even though the archive name is ignored with this switch, an arbitrary dummy archive name has to be specified in the command line.
- Operations requiring backward seeks are unavailable in this mode. It includes displaying archive comments, testing the recovery record, utilizing the quick open information, processing multivolume archives.
- Prompts requiring user interaction are not allowed. Use -o[+|-|r], -p<pwd> or -mes switches to suppress such prompts.
- New -ep4<path> switch excludes the path prefix when archiving or extracting if this path is found at the beginning of the archived name. The path is compared with names already prepared to store in the archive, without drive letters and leading path separators. For example:
- rar a -ep4texts\books archive c:\texts\books\technical
- removes “text\books” from archived names, so they start from ‘technical’.
- New -mes switch skips encrypted files when extracting or testing. It replaces the former -p- switch.
- New -op<path> switch sets the destination folder for ‘x’ and ‘e’ extraction commands. Unlike <path_to_extract\> command line parameter, this switch also accepts paths without a trailing path separator character.
- If the ‘p’ command is used to print a file to stdout, informational messages are suppressed automatically to prevent them from mixing with file data.
- “Generate archive name by mask” option and switch -ag treat only first two ‘M’ characters after ‘H’ as minutes. Previously, any amount of such characters was considered minutes.
- It makes it possible to place the time field before the date, like -agHHMM-DDMMYY. Previous versions considered all ‘M’ in this string as minutes.
- The maximum allowed size of RAR5 recovery record is increased to 1000% of the protected data size. A maximum number of RAR5 recovery volumes can be 10 times larger than protected RAR volumes.
- Previous WinRAR versions are not able to use the recovery record to repair broken archives if the recovery record size exceeds 99%. Similarly, previous versions cannot use recovery volumes if their number is equal to or larger than a number of RAR volumes.
- The warning is issued if the entered password exceeds the allowed limit of 127 characters and is truncated. Previously, such passwords had been truncated silently.
- If the archive includes reserved device names, the underscore character is inserted at the beginning of such names when extracting. For example, aux.txt is converted to _aux.txt. It is done to prevent compatibility problems with software unable to process such names.
- You can use the “Allow potentially incompatible names” option in the “Advanced” part of the extraction dialog or command line -oni switch to avoid this conversion.
- WinRAR attempts to reset the file cache before testing an archive. It helps to verify actual data written to disk instead of reading a cached copy.
- Multiple -v<size> switches specifying different sizes for different volumes are now allowed also for ZIP archives:
- WinRAR a -v100k -v200k -v300k arcname.zip
- Previously, multiple -v<size> switches were supported only for RAR archives.
- Switches -sl<size> and -sm<size> can be used in WinRAR.exe command line mode when extracting archives in any supported formats, provided that such archive includes unpacked file sizes. Previously, these switches could filter files by size only in RAR and ZIP archives.
- A newer folder selection dialog is invoked when pressing the “Browse” button in WinRAR “Settings/Paths” page, “Repair” and “Convert” commands, also as in a few other similar places. Previously, a simpler XP style folder selection dialog was opened.
- When restoring from the tray after completing an operation, WinRAR window is positioned under other opened windows, to not interfere with current user activities.
- “650 MB CD” is removed and “2 GB volumes” is added to the list of predefined volume sizes in the “Define volume sizes” dialog invoked from WinRAR “Settings/Compression”.
- The “Rename” command selects the file name part up to the final dot. Previously, it selected the entire name.
- If SFX archive size exceeds 4 GB, an error message is issued during compression, immediately after exceeding this threshold. Previously, this error was reported only after completing compression.
- Executables of such size cannot be started by Windows.
- The command-line -en switch is not supported anymore. It created RAR4 archives without the end of archive record.
- End of archive record permits to gracefully skip external data like digital signatures.
Changed or Fixed in WinRar 6.1 Final
- When editing a file inside of .rar or .zip archive, WinRAR created a new SFX archive instead of updating an existing archive if the “Create SFX archive” option was set in the default compression profile;
- The total progress could be displayed incorrectly when using -oi, -f, -u switches or appropriate GUI options;
- “Find files” command with “Use all tables” option and command line “it” commands failed to find strings in UTF-16 encoding.